Quilting Secrets, Tips, And Tricks : Perfect Quarter Inch Seams

16 Jul

Do you pine for perfect quarter inch seems on your projects? I’m sure you do! I do! Well, I did, now I don’t pine any longer! A friend of mine taught me this, and it works amazingly! I know some people probably already know this, but I think someone will find it interesting! It not only helps with perfect seams, but it is one of my many secrets to help quilt faster! That’s right! I said faster!

Follow the jump to find out the secret!

It’s MASKING TAPE!

That’s correct! Masking tape!
What you do is you take about 4 or 5 strips and stack them up on the quarter inch mark on your sewing machine! And Voila, you have a perfect leader to make sure you get gorgeously uniform quarter inch seams! The moment I started doing this, I could sew almost twice as fast! It really does make a difference. Now, like all good things, this too comes to an end, and you have to replace it after about one quilt top worth of sewing.

Before I learned this I was doing my seems the old fashioned way, and a friend of mine told me this eat trick, and next thing I know, I was able to have straight seems.
I don;t know about other machines, but mine doesn’t always feed the fabric in perfectly straight. I like to watch tv while sewing, so it was very hard to pay attention to two things at once. If I stopped paying attention all of a sudden my seam would got from quarter inch to either off the fabric or half an inch. Now, I design a lot of my own blocks, so having perfect quarter inch seams really helps me design with with precision. I don’t know if I could ever go back!

9 Responses to “Quilting Secrets, Tips, And Tricks : Perfect Quarter Inch Seams”

1. Rose July 16, 2013 at 8:37 am #

Does the tape leave adhesive residue on the machine? I want to try this but I am afraid it would gum everything up.

• Eric The Quilter July 16, 2013 at 8:39 am #

I use the nicer tape, like the blue painter’s tape, or the green frog tape. They are better quality, so I wouldn;t worry about them.

2. Becki July 16, 2013 at 9:28 am #

I do this with my Singer, but can’t with my Brother because of the bobbin placement. I do miss the tape when it’s not there! Good idea about the painter’s tape, it shows up better than regular masking tape, too.

3. Maria Lang Slocum July 16, 2013 at 10:21 am #

I actually velcro a piece of an old-fashioned wooden ruler in that spot. This keeps the fabric from creeping over. Then, I can also easily remove it. You want to make sure the soft side of the velcro is what is on the machine.
    I learned this trick from my grandmother who was a professional seamstress and made clothes and wedding dresses.

4. Carol Olson July 16, 2013 at 1:17 pm #

Every machine the 1/4 inch is different I use a 1/4″ gauge to set my guide 3m adhesive strips does not leave residue and an old hotel key stuck to top. A Bonnie Hunter trick on how to get the perfect 1/4″. If you do not have a gauge you can use an index card slide under lower needle on line they are 1/4″ apart then set your guide. you should be able to move from machine to machine and your 1/4″ seam will be the same

5. Cindy July 16, 2013 at 2:25 pm #

I use moleskin cut into a strip. 1 layer is plenty, and it lasts a long time. I find it in the bunion section at the pharmacy.

6. Pam July 16, 2013 at 6:43 pm #

Don’t use masking tape – Purchase a package of Dr Scholl’s pads (think they are called moleskin) for use on corns or bunions on your feet to help pad the sore spot. Just cut a strip of the moleskin and align next to your presser foot. Perfect seams every time!

7. Patty July 19, 2013 at 10:34 am #

I noticed the right side feed dogs were exposed and on my machine the 1/4 mark is over the right feed dog and on my 1/4 foot the edge is right at the left side of the right feed dog so if I put tape to mark my 1/4 wont that bother my feed dog ? I would love to have an easier way… I have an Viking emerald series….thanks

8. Jane July 20, 2013 at 7:33 pm #

I have tried everything – tape, marking, the magnet thingy, key cards. I have found that the best thing for a 1/4 inch is the foot that has the guard on it. I have them both for my featherweight and my bernina and would not trade them for anything. Here is a pic of the janom one:

They range from $10-$12 but well worth the investment. You don’t have to sew a perfect 1/4 inch seam – you just have to be perfectly consistent!