Dear People Who Think My Quilts Look Juvenile

27 Nov

Dear People Who Think My Quilts Look Juvenile,

It makes me laugh to read some of the comments people post on my blog. I never claimed to be a master quilter, but I think I am pretty damn good. When someone says my quilts look like a novice made them, they aren’t lying. I’ve only been doing this for less than a year and a half. However, in these 17 months, I have sold 6 quilts, made over 25 tops, and I have some of the most amazing people reading my blog every day. So when you say my quilts look like crap, I just really don’t believe you. In fact, it makes me think my quilts are probably better than yours. I’m not going to publish the comments you write on my posts, and I’m most definitely not going to stop quilting. However, I do have a question for you: why are you still reading my blog? If it offends you to look at my quilts, or read m posts, then go read something else, look at something else, or just get off the internet. I’ve always been a big fan of, ‘If you don’t have anything nice to say, then shut the hell up.’ So I’m not going to give out your email address and tell people to bother you, because that would be juvenile, and I’m just not that type of guy. However, if someone wants to engage in a quilt off, I’m totally down!

Thank you for reading.

Sincerely,

Eric The Quilter

PS. I would like to thank everyone who does encourage my quilting, and I could not do it without the support of my readers!

16 Responses to “Dear People Who Think My Quilts Look Juvenile”

1. manyironsinthefire November 27, 2013 at 4:33 am #

Eric, I’ve been kicked out of our potholder making group! I’ve been blocked, I think the admin saw something I posted about Atheism on my personal page. She blocked me personally too. I was a bit stung, but then I remembered that it is the potholder crowd, not the dressmaker or art crowd, and then I didn’t feel so bad.

Keep the faith, brother!

• Eric The Quilter November 27, 2013 at 10:10 am #

Thanks, I’ve also been kicked out of a few groups for my equality quilt. And you know what, screw them I’m sure your pot holders are twice if not three times more fabulous than theirs!

• manyironsinthefire November 29, 2013 at 12:06 am #

hey, so I follow you on fb, i think, do you have time for one more fb friend?

• Eric The Quilter November 29, 2013 at 1:26 am #

Always!

• manyironsinthefire November 30, 2013 at 5:49 am #

add me https://www.facebook.com/shilo.rives

• Roxanne Richardson November 27, 2013 at 11:06 am #

Good for you! Rock that boat! Im sure you can find someone who loves your potholders!

2. SueR November 27, 2013 at 7:07 am #

You know, some people just live to cut others down. Yay for your positive attitude and your fun quilts!

3. Sandy Panagos November 27, 2013 at 8:50 am #

What a shame that you have to deal with such negative comments. Some people are idiots. I love seeing what you are doing and I enjoy your work. Keep it up!

4. Roxanne Richardson November 27, 2013 at 11:09 am #

It saddens me that in this special group of people – Quilters – who strive to make for others, there are still people that judge, put down, discourage, and generally just annoy the hell out of me. Let them play among themselves. Personally, I would rather not quilt with them. I prefer love, compassion, encouragement, happiness, and joy.

5. Carolyn November 27, 2013 at 12:28 pm #

Keep going Eric! I am on quilt #2. My first quilt was given to my grandson for his 4th birthday. When he saw it, he told everyone that it was time for him to take a nap. This is the reason I am trying to tackle #2….I have had mega problems with it, but I will get it right. As for the ones that think you cannot quilt? Well, I was brought up to be a Southern Belle….just let me get them behind the barn!!!!!!!!

• Eric The Quilter November 27, 2013 at 2:08 pm #

Hahaha! Thanks for the offer! And please send me some pics of your work!

6. quiltedlibrarian November 27, 2013 at 3:34 pm #

Those of us who, after many years of making quilts (I’m at, maybe, 20 years now?), still prefer to make simple patterns and just revel in the gorgeous fabrics, or who don’t mass produce quilts for various guilds and contests, are often looked down on, too. Don’t much care; I’ll make the quilts I want to make and encourage those who are also trying. Glad you have so many supporters! 🙂

7. June November 28, 2013 at 11:15 pm #

Yeah, well, I think Walt Disney movies are juvenile, so…