I Was Thinking About A Design Wall….

5 Sep

Image from Double Nickle Quilt Challenge

Has anyone ever done one? I think it would be nice to have one! MY friend has one and it seems like it would be nice to be able to throw things up there while I work on piecing it! Does anyone have any feedback on them, the positive and the negatives. Like, would they collect a lot of dust, how do you clean them, and stuff like that!

7 Responses to “I Was Thinking About A Design Wall….”

1. Ronna September 5, 2013 at 3:14 pm #

It really depends on how permanent you want it to be. . I have used just a queen sized flannel sheet pinned to the wall for about 10 years now. It gets dusty or I feel it needs cleaned and I just take it down & toss it in the wash.

• Eric The Quilter September 5, 2013 at 3:29 pm #

That is a great idea! That’s what I’m worried about a permanent heavy duty one… how do you wash it?

2. Jim Hahn September 5, 2013 at 3:20 pm #

I’ve done several. I use a sheet of foam insulation (about 2″ thick and 4′ x 8′ or a 2′ x 4′ quarter sheet). You’ll also need a can of spray adhesive and some warm & natural batting.

Layout the batting on the floor or large table. Spray with the adhesive. Gently drop the foam insulation sheet onto the batting and bring the edges of the batting up and pin or staple to the top side of the sheet. You’re done.

3. Anni September 5, 2013 at 3:56 pm #

I have a dollar store version of a design wall. Lol! I didn’t want a permanent design wall, or any thing too bulky. I put 3M hangers on the vinyl side of a vinyl table cloth, and hung it on a wall. The fabric sticks to the flannel side like a dream. Love it!

• Rebecca Teeter September 5, 2013 at 10:58 pm #

That’s what we use at my house too. Easy to move, easy to replace if need-be.

4. ildas September 5, 2013 at 7:27 pm #

your is a dream…

5. pam September 6, 2013 at 10:49 am #

I just bought one from connecting threads 14.99. It has grommets on it and suggest you use the heavy duty stick on hooks to hang it up!